Friday 6 July 2018

Satire at its best

The Sellout













I was asked to review this by Nudge - well as satire goes this is as good as it gets. I was unsure when I first read this but got into this very quickly. This is witty and on the other side of the coin makes the reader think big time.

A black man brings back slavery and racial segregation in a "post-racial" country. Very apt when I knew a little about America race relations. I did ask myself how the author got away with writing this- but he did an won the coveted Man Booker prize.

Having just watched BBC 4 Black Nurses: Who Saved the NHS - I was shocked how people in Britain treated black people from our own commonwealth so this book for me was so thought provoking.

The author discusses some real uncomfortable truths, some reviews stated that  the author spent a lot of time ranting about race relations- I personally found this was apt and good on him for writing this. So readers get over this and read this hilarious but thought provoking story. 

This is a book I may not have picked up so thank you Nudge and the publishers for letting me review this.

No comments:

Post a Comment