Sunday 30 October 2016

Inspirational

So, We Progress, Parkinson's and I by Terry Rummins

Description:  This is the sequel to the excellent and thought provoking So, I’ve Got Parkinson’s Disease. This is book for someone who has Parkinson’s diseases and feels they are on their own and those who have relatives or loved one suffering from the disease.


Highlights: 

As with the first book the reader does not feel alone the author writes with first hand experience. The chapter for me (who does not have Parkinson’s) is something I am doing at present and is simplifying in order to think and clutter for me is not something I want anymore and find myself too trying to understand how to use my brain usefully. The author and alters her inner world by changing her outer world.
As a psychologist the author is able to analyse her problems and the use of humour to deal with the condition. The author highlights how you deal with life and sometimes it is about thinking ahead, being organised, communicating and enjoying the friends you have.

It is a complex disease and the author makes no bones about it.

Strengths and weaknesses:

This is written by a clinician and also first hand as a sufferer. This will bring hope to Parkinson’s sufferers and help them realise they are not alone and that although the path can be rough there are coping mechanisms to help the sufferer and also to help the carer or loved one understand.

It is important for staff who work with patients suffering from this condition that they are interested and want to work with people suffering. One important phrase the author uses (and this is apt for any patient) is” every human being has the right to be treated with dignity”

This book is both inspiring and thought provoking. I look forward to a 3rd book in this series- I do hope the author writes another.

Potential Readers:

All staff working with Parkinson’s disease – both nursing staff and clinicians.


No comments:

Post a Comment