Thursday 4 July 2019

well written and thought provoking

Praise Song for the Butterflies



I was asked to review by Nudge books. 

I was unsure at first but this authors writing was just amazing she does not waste one word. The author tackled a subject unknown to me -ritual servitude (Ritual servitude is a practice in Ghana, Togo, and Benin where traditional religious shrines take human beings, usually young virgin girls, in payment for services, or in religious atonement for alleged misdeeds of a family member -Wikipedia) although being outlawed in 1998 this dreadful practice still goes on in an area in Ghana. the author fictionalises the area but we know this is Ghana but the point is this is still happening in the 21st centaury! 

This book really moved me and I really felt for the main character Abeo and her father who had a series of bad luck, the western world questions why would a father do this - take his small innocent virgin daughter and put her in this position for his wrong doings? 

The author takes you on a journey quite shocking warts and all but there is no way of dampening down this story. 

I read in one still and found I wanted to keep reading to end - it also makes the reader realise sadly we do not know what is round the corner.

Published by London based Jacaranda books who represent culture and diversity.



No comments:

Post a Comment