Thursday 12 March 2020

An amusing adventure

The Only Gaijin in the Village




I was asked to review by Lovereading, and was interested as loved Stef Smulders book Living in Italy. This is the story of Iain and his Japanese wife who have moved from Scotland- a fellow scot moving away can be a culture shock although personally moving to the South west of England was the best move for me. But to move to a remote village with different cultures and a different language - my heart went out to him.
An amusing adventure great title makes me think of Little Britain, an interesting story of moving to the other end of the Earth and the huge culture differences with good old scots humour and observation along the way.
As a fellow scot I did find myself chuckling and remembered Scotland again from a different stance.
How I would have survived in a different culture I do not know and take my hat off to this very talented author who explores lots of issues in this book - death as he begin this story, world war 2, to the shocking price of rice and it is grown there!
I am now going to seek out this authors other books. Recommended book just published so give it a whirl.

No comments:

Post a Comment