Wednesday 17 February 2016

The Last of the Bowmans

 I was really pleased to be asked by Real Readers to review J Paul Henderson’s new novel. 
I was introduced to this author at the end of 2013 when I was asked to review Last Bus to Coffeeville which I loved funny with the courage to write about a difficult and sensitive subject.
So this time:-
1. I was excited to read another book by this interesting author
2. The author with such an interesting background – here was an ex foundry worker from the mill area of West Yorkshire writing about characters in America.
This book starts with the character Greg Bowman who has to return to England when his father dies, attend his funeral and then the task of trying to sort out the house. Sound depressing – but it is anything but.

The three main characters are quirky- Greg, Billy and his Uncle Frank.
The main character then gets a little more than expected when his father’s ghost appears and asks he try to solve some family mysteries – not creepy but extremely tongue in cheek and far fetched.
Bizarrely this is a book the reader will find really difficult to put down as I read on eagerly to the end.
Another unique and great story from an author I cannot wait to see what he writes next.

No comments:

Post a Comment