Friday 13 May 2016

Kitchens of The Great Midwest



I was asked to review this book by Real Readers. The cover intrigued me and the statement “it only takes an instant to let someone go but a lifetime to find them again” I thought there is going to be journey here. Also was not entirely sure if this was a type of cookbook – I am sure other readers may be thinking that also. I also read the Daily mail review whist having breakfast and thinking I am reading and reviewing this book too.

This is essentially the story of Eva and her growing up and eventually becoming a chef. The story is cleverly told by various characters. There is just one chapter told by Eva herself.

The theme is food and how we relate to it, food is an integral part of all our lives we watch food programme we think we are foodies and we are so knowledgeable today. The author’s attention to detail here is good. There is the world of the cut throat kitchen and chefs and the contrast with amateurs.

It is quirky and at times you laugh out loud and then there is a sense of sadness. The characters are written well. As the ending approached the reader feels things are going to be tied up and the ending will be predictable – but the author cleverly takes the reader on a different slant altogether.


An author I will be looking out for in the future – a really enjoyable read.

No comments:

Post a Comment