Tuesday 12 April 2016

A Dictionary of Mutual Undertanding



I was asked  to review this book by Net Gallery. The cover was really intriguing and then the description even more.
Essentially this book starts off with An elderly woman (survivor of the Nagasaki atomic bomb) has a visitor who was claiming to be her grandson from Nagasaki. She thought him dead.
The story then develops through lots of generations, letter, recollections and diaries.
Nagasaki has a terrible but interesting history and if the reader is unfamiliar the book takes on a persona of a dictionary and gives definitions and culture information. I have not read a fictional book around the bombing of Nagasaki and the effects on families other than the factual documentary type literature. This I found real and really interesting.

I found the story quite sad but was written with dignity.


I would recommend this book and will expect this to be in the top ten best sellers this summer of 2016.

No comments:

Post a Comment